Monday, October 28, 2013

Bloggers Quilt Festival–Bed Quilt for a Teenager - Crossroads

 

Hi there ! If you are visiting my blog for the first time while touring the

Blogger's Quilt Festival,

welcome!

 

AmysCreativeSide

 

This is my second entry for the Quilt Festival.  I am entering my sons Crossroads quilt into the Bed Sized Quilt Category. The pattern for this quilt is called Power of 4 designed by Tony Jacobson for Fons and Porter for the Love of Quilting Magazine, May/June 2013 issue.

 

IMG_1490_thumb1

 

I changed the pattern slightly by adding extra rows and 2 borders, the  inner border is Kona snow and the outer is Parson Gray., the original quilt size is 64 x 76 and I needed it to be big enough to fit a Queen Bed.

IMG_1485_thumb2

The month before our dog was sick and the month before our lives got a little crazy house hunting and moving etc., I started a quilt, and I did get it finished just before we moved.  So I can now say that while we lived there I made a quilt for every member of our household!

IMG_1484_thumb2

I made this quilt for my youngest son,

Every time I have asked him if he wants a quilt he has always said he didn’t want one, he has his favorite worn out thread bear quilt!  But like I said I wanted to have made a quilt for each of us in our little family while living in that particular home.  So he didn’t have a choice, he was getting one!  Teenagers can be difficult at the best of times! but he absolutely loves this quilt,

As he was not interested in the planning stage of it , I just went ahead and made decisions on colour and pattern without his input! I think it can be difficult making a quilt for teenagers, especially boys, there does not seem to be too many fabrics geared to young men that are modern and the right colours.  But this line seemed to be perfect.

 

IMG_1489_thumb1

 

I named this quilt Crossroads, I think it’s the perfect name for it!

 


The quilt top all pieced at our home before we moved
 
DSC03074_thumb3


 
IMG_1491_thumb2
(oh no look at the deck! in need of some TLC it has now been power washed and stained since this photo was taken, only 3 weeks after moving in!)
 
 
photo-001_thumb1
photo_thumb2
 
 
To see more beautiful quilts visit  Amy's Creative Side to enjoy the festival. Pictures of the quilts will be posted between now and October 31, its certainly worth a visit to look at all the beautiful quilts.
 
Quilt Details

I gave my LAQ free reign when it came to quilting this quilt, and I love the pattern she chose, it really does give it a modern look and some movement to the quilt. Thank you Sue! If you need a quilt quilting then I recommend Sue, she does a fantastic job and I do know that she received quilt by mail all the time to be quilted.
This magazine classed this quilt as being intermediate, but I found it extremely quick and easy to make, the most difficult part was making sure all the rows lined up, but that just required some patience on my part.
  • Fabrics used – Parson Gray for FreeSpirit by David Butler, Dear Stella, (will add more details when I find the selvedge edges!)
  • Border –  Robert Kaufmann Kona Snow (inner) Parson Gray (outer)
  • Binding – Kona Delph Blue
  • Backing – Gasp! A sheet from Target!
  • Quilting – by Sue Tuma 
  • Pantograph – Modern Curves by Anita Shackelford
  • Thread -  Signature Cotton in Oyster Shell
  • Batting – Legacy 80/20

 

IMG_1486_thumb2

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilt for a teenage boy, it is difficult to find fabrics and patterns for adult males but you are right, this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love this quilt! I could see my sons using one like that. Great entry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice of fabrics! I love that wavy quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a WONDERFUL quilt for a teen guy! No wonder he loves it. :) I had to really smile at the Target sheet gasp. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a wonderful quilt Sam. The colors are perfect for a boy. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...