Sunday, September 23, 2012

English Flower Garden Quilt

 

Change of Plan!  Yesterday I blogged about Hexagons and how I was only going to  make 2 hexagons from the same piece of fabric.

 

SCRAP THAT IDEA

 

So instead I decided to do a traditional English Flower Garden Quilt, also known as Grandmas Flower Garden Quilt .  I have already made a start!

DSC00626

But I am going to cheat a little bit with this quilt as I would like to get it done in the next decade! and to do that means sewing less hexagons, so instead of doing the background in white hexagons I am going to sew the flower hexagons onto a white background fabric,  it saves making loads of white hexagons, which would drive me crazy and means I get this finished sooner than later!

DSC00627

I got the idea of sewing the completed hexagon flowers onto a white background fabric from  Pleasant Home.  and that’s not all, she also came up with an ingenious idea of putting a call  out to fellow bloggers to send her scraps to make a Grandma's Flower Garden Quilt. She asked for enough fabric to make one whole flower.  Everyone that sent fabric to her was then entered into a giveaway.  Now this sounds like a great idea, and one that I am thinking of doing, what do you think?  How fantastic would it be to receive fabric from all over to add to this quilt.  You can read all about it here on her blog.

DSC00628

If anyone else would like to join me  in making a English Flower Garden quilt then we can make it a sew along too and I can start a Flickr Group, let me know in the comments section.

I came across some great tutorials on English Paper Piecing, my favourites are:

Hexie Paper Piecing Tutorial – and   Hexie Flower Tutorial      from Bee In My Bonnet

Check them out, they make EPP so much easier to do.

1 comment:

  1. Love your flowers, like your idea of an international hexalong too! Count me in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...