Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bag - Simplicity 2396

From this pattern I made View B (Bottom right)
This bag is a great bag, much smaller than what I thought it would be from the picture on the pattern envelope, but saying that I really like the size of this bag. This bag is quite an easy bag to sew and most of my time was spent cutting out the pattern, interlining, fleece and fabric. It came together quite quickly and would be ideal for a beginner sewer to sew.
Whilst making it, I forgot to cut out the pocket pattern piece so just winged it and made a pocket to suit the size I wanted it to be. The only thing that was a little confusing was which way the pleats lie and this did not make much sense, it would have been helpful if the instructions actually said which way the pleats lie i.e. facing inwards or outwards, instead it just shows you on the pattern but I was confused by this.
The pattern did not explain what type of interlining to use for the bag, so I would normally use a fusible fleece interfacing but did not have any on hand so just used some fleece fabric instead, which I basted to the fabric. The lining in this bag is the same pattern for the main part of the bag, which also required pleating, I felt that the lining was too big for the inside and could be made slightly smaller.
I hope you found this review helpful, thanks for looking.

DSC00010DSC00007DSC00008DSC00009DSC00006DSC00011DSC00014DSC00015


UPDATE
If you would like to see a different fabric version of this bag then hop on over and see what Veronica from SewVery  made , it is absolutely gorgeous, you can find it on her blog SewVery (seriously check it out, her version is in beautiful Joel Dewbery fabric and is to die for),

20 comments:

  1. You beat me to it! This is one of the patterns I purchased a few days ago, but I haven't had time to tackle it yet because my daughter has been sick. It is gorgeous! Thanks for the review, and I'll be sure to keep these concerns in mind when making mine soon. BTW, what fabric is this? I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica,
      I bought the fabric from Hobby Lobby on Thursday, I am not sure what it is called, but on the selvage edge it has
      2011 Brother design studio and
      B42-S-PO1 flowery fabric
      B39-UM-P78 polka Dot fabric
      The great thing about it was that it only cost $4.89 a yard as it was on sale for 30% off. I can't wait to see you version of this bag.
      Sam

      Delete
    2. Sam, thank you for the info on the fabric. I'll have to head out to Hobby Lobby later this week to check it out (I need to get some ribbon there anyway)! I intended to start the bag yesterday but got completely sidetracked with another project. Maybe I'll get it started today. Can't wait to see what else you are working on!

      Delete
  2. It's always helpful to know how someone else finds a pattern. The bag looks great, both the shape and the fabric!!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I do think those pattern writers could be more clear sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely bag! This fabric is a very good choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bag, I bought this pattern a while ago but haven't got round to making the bag yet, but this will definitely encourage me to get started! I have made a couple of bags from Sweet Pea Totes pdf patterns and always found them to be well written with photographs for every step, but never used her paper patterns, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for featuring my pattern! I never checked out the paper pattern much to see if Simplicity added every detail but it sounds like they didn't add the direction of the pleats. So sorry about that. It is a fun pattern to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun pattern it may just be me being confused, it is a lovely bag and I have heard that the PDF pattern with pics is excellent, I have another of your patterns and I plan on making it soon, Sam

      Delete
  7. I LOVE THIS !!! It's so pretty !!!!


    http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a really great bag - like both the design and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bag turned out great! I love, love, love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam, you are too sweet! Thanks! Can't wait to see your next bag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bag will be featured for Functional Friday tomorrow!

    Thanks for stopping by to link up!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see that Mary, from Sweet Pea Totes,the creator of this pattern commented above.:) I love working with Mary and have made MANY of her patterns over the years, seen here:(http://www.flickr.com/photos/handbagsnpigtails/sets/72157626231160996/). You did a beautiful job on this and I really like your fabrics.:) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Mary's PDF patterns from her Etsy site are super easy to follow and some of the best step by step I've ever found. Its disappointing to hear that Simplicity might have left out some of those because that's not how Mary's patterns are at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mary's patterns are fantastic, and sometimes simplicity patterns are not some SIMPLE to follow!

      Delete
  14. Oh, your bag turned out great. I was googling around for some photos of this bag and found your link. My bag is cut out using a fall color. Hope to finish sewing it this week. Was not sure if I was going to use a button or magnetic closure but after seeing your bag it's gonna be the button. Now I can see myself making lots of these bags in so many different fabrics. Thanks so much for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...