Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Merry Christmas Sign without using vinyl

DSC09986DSC09987I love signs! and have a few in our home that I have made.  But, I didn’t have one for Christmas so decided today that I would have a go and try a different way of doing it.  In the past I have cut out a stencil with my cricut and stenciled the words onto a piece of wood.

This time I decided to use a technique involving sewers tracing paper, which I discovered is a lot like carbon paper, only a lot cheaper.

I printed out my words on the printer, making sure to only print the outline of the letters (this saves ink, and we are all about saving right?)placed a piece of sewers tracing paper onto my already painted wood and placed the printed words over the top and then  basically traced round each letter with a pen, once your done with tracing the letters, you have a very easy to see outline of the letters.  I then  painted the letters by hand, I am not the best free hand painter but I am sure if I had had a painting pen it would have been much easier than using a paint brush.  I then took some sandpaper and lightly sanded the words to give them a more rustic look.

For all you crafters out there without a machine for cutting vinyl, this may be an option for you.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks for looking

 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Sam.....love all your Christmas decorations x

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great. I also saw a method where a girl printed out the font she wanted, then she placed the paper on top of the wood and pressed really hard as she went over all the words w/ the pen. She said it made a little dent in the wood and it helped to dam up the paint a little.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...